By car, public transport & more
Getting here & parking
To help you plan your journey here, we have summarised the information on how to get to the mountain world around the Zugspitze by public transport, camper van or car – parking information and route planner included.
By train: The train station in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, which is well connected to the public transport network, makes travelling here easy and uncomplicated. There is also a Deutsche Bahn stop at the Hausbergbahn cable car. You can thus travel to the Garmisch-Classic ski area from Munich without changing trains.
By bus: It is easy to get to Garmisch-Partenkirchen by Flixbus and Obernbayernbus. Both buses stop at the station. The Eibsee bus and the local bus serve the Wankbahn, Kreuzeckbahn and Cable cars Zugspitze respectively.
Your onward journey: The Zugspitzbahn station Garmisch-Partenkirchen is located at the western exit of the Deutsche Bahn train station, about 200 meters away. You can thus easily continue your journey to the Zugspitze or the Garmisch-Classic area on the cogwheel train. The timetable of the cogwheel train is coordinated with the arrivals and departures of the regional trains, so waiting times are short.
The public transport planner is a great tool that helps you plan your journey using public transport.
- The Deutschland-Ticket is only valid on the valley route of the cogwheel train from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Grainau. To continue to lake Eibsee or Zugspitze a separate ticket must be purchased.
- The Deutschland-Ticket is not valid in cable cars.
- A discount on the mountain railway ticket is not possible with the Deutschland-Ticket.
- Transport with the Deutschland-Ticket on the cogwheel train is only possible if the number of guests allows it. At weekends and during holidays, it is likely that demand will exceed the existing capacity of the trains and therefore not all people can be carried. Please note that guests with a valid mountain railway ticket have priority when traveling with the cogwheel train.
Combination ticket & discount
Guests receive a discount on presentation of a valid DB ticket (return ticket, Bayern-Ticket, EU-RAIL-Pass, Interrail-Ticket, Werdenfels-Ticket, Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket, BahnCard 100) at the ticket counter. With the Deutschland-Ticket, a discount on the mountain railway ticket is not possible.
In addition, Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahn AG offers a combination ticket together with DB Regio. It includes:
- 1x rail journey from Munich main station
- 1x Zugspitze Round Trip ticket or ski pass for the Zugspitze or the Garmisch-Classic area
Arrival by car
Here you can see live information about which parking spaces are currently free or already occupied. You can use the route planner to plan your journey to the respective car park. Just select the destination from the list and enter the start address.
Choose your destination
The listed parking options are available at the valley stations of the mountain railways. In the high season, however, it is possible that the parking areas are occupied - we therefore recommend arriving by public transport.
Season parking ticket summer
Annual and season pass holders have the exclusive opportunity to purchase a season parking pass for the winter and/or summer season:
- Rates and validity can be found in the table above.
- The season parking ticket can only be purchased in connection with a valid season or annual pass at the open ticket offices od the Bayerische Zugspitzbahn (also retrospectively).
- The parking pass is valid for the registered license plate number and cannot be transferred to other vehicles.
- The season parking ticket does not guarantee a free parking space.
There are parking spaces with charging stations for electric cars in the following car parks:
- Zugspitzbahn station Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Kreuzeckbahn cable car
- Cable car Zugspitze
- Wankbahn cable car
The parking rates listed above also apply to electric cars when using the parking areas or charging stations.
Disabled parking spaces
There are disabled parking spaces on all parking lots of the Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahn AG. Parking fees are waived when you buy a cable car ticket and present a special parking permit for the severely disabled.
At Camp am Wank, there are designated parking spaces for mobile homes.
Overnight parking is only permitted in selected car parks – see the table on locations and rates for detailed information.