Frequently asked questions
General questions about mountain railway operations
With start of the 2022/23 winter season, guests no longer have to observe any special corona measures. However, it is still recommended to wear a mask in the large cabins of the cable car and in the cogwheel train.
In general, we recommend arriving early. The duration of your Round Trip depends on several factors, such as the size of the group, what you have planned and the number of visitors. You should schedule at least two to three hours for the entire tour.
Dogs can be taken on the cable cars and the cogwheel train for the price of six euros (one-off). The corresponding ticket is available on site at the ticket counters of the cable car stations. Muzzling is not compulsory in the cable cars. However, out of consideration for other passengers, it is recommended that dogs be muzzled in large cabins and on the cogwheel train.
Bicycles are not allowed on any of the mountain railways.
- Zugspitze: It is possible to take a pushchair or pram on the Zugspitze cable car and the glacier cable car. The cogwheel train is not suitable for taking prams due to limited space and non-barrier-free entrances and exits.
- Garmisch-Classic: Pushchairs and prams can be taken on the Kreuzeckbahn, Alpspitzbahn and Hochalmbahn cable cars, as well as on the Hausbergbahn cable car in winter.
- Mount Wank: In principle, prams and pushchairs can be folded up and carried. However, please note that the cabin doors have a maximum width of 57 cm.
- Zugspitze: The Zugspitze cable car and the Gletscherbahn cable car are barrier-free and can be used with a wheelchair/rollator. The cogwheel train is not suitable for wheelchair/rollator access due to the limited space available and the non-barrier-free entrances and exits.
- Garmisch-Classic: The Kreuzeckbahn, Alpspitzbahn and Hochalmbahn cable cars can be used with wheelchairs/rollators. The Hausbergbahn cable car is also barrier-free accessible in winter.
- Mount Wank: In principle, wheelchair users can use the Wankbahn cable car. However, please note that the cabin doors have a maximum width of 57 cm. Unfortunately, electric wheelchairs cannot be transported due to the small size of the cabins.
- Zugspitze: Ski depots are available in the basement of the Sonnalpin restaurant during the winter season. They cost six euros per day.
- Garmisch-Classic: Ski depots are available in winter at the ski schools at the Hausbergbahn valley station. In addition, there are lockers in front of Garmischer Haus that can be operated by inserting coins.
Getting here & parking
The Zugspitzbahn station in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the valley stations of the cable cars can be easily reached by bus and train all year round.
During the day, motorhomes can be parked at the car park at the Zugspitzbahn station in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, at the Kreuzeckbahn/Alpspitzbahn car park and at the Hausbergbahn car park. However, it is not possible to park your motorhome there overnight. For overnight stays, we recommend the camp site on Mount Wank and the camp sites in Grainau.
Restaurants & other culinary establishments
Unfortunately, private parties are not possible in our restaurants. For company celebrations, please refer to the MICE section. You are welcome to contact us via the enquiry form for an individual offer.