Information for people with disabilities
We have summarised helpful information on accessible travel on the Zugspitze, on Mount Wank and in the Garmisch-Classic area.
From a degree of disability of 60 per cent or level “G”, ID card holders and registered accompanying persons receive a reduction for travel on the cable cars and cogwheel train of Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahn AG. This includes ascents and descents, Zugspitze Round Trip tickets and ski passes.
Parking for people with disabilities
All Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahn AG car parks offer designated disabled-friendly parking spaces at the valley stations.
The cogwheel train is not barrier-free accessible as of yet. For this reason, wheelchair users are recommended to take the Cable car Zugspitze. From the top station, you can continue your trip to the Zugspitze plateau with the Gletscherbahn cable car.
Cable car Zugspitze
- Cable car Zugspitze valley station: The entrance and exit to the cable car cabins offer level access – so it’s very easy to get on and off.
- Cable car Zugspitze top station: The top station has a barrier-free exit. The restaurant, sanitary facilities and summit terrace are easily accessible via a lift.
- Duration: 10 minutes
- Restrooms suitable for people with disabilities: at both the mountain and valley station
Both cable car stations of the Gletscherbahn are easily accessible with a wheelchair as well as with a rollator.
- Duration: 4 minutes
- Restrooms suitable for people with disabilities: at the top station
In principle, all cable cars in the Garmisch-Classic area are wheelchair- and rollator-accessible. In the event of minor obstacles, staff are on hand to help with getting on and off.
Information on the individual mountain railways at a glance:
- Kreuzeckbahn valley station: level access to the cabins
- Kreuzeckbahn top station: level access to the cabins
- Duration: 7 minutes
- Restrooms suitable for people with disabilities: Kreuzeckbahn valley station
- Bottom station: A lift on the ground floor takes you directly to the entrance. In summer, an access road to the left of the valley station leads directly to the entrance and ticket counter.
- Top station: barrier-free; a visit to the AlpspiX viewing platform is only recommended for athletic wheelchair users – the path from the top station to the platform includes a steep climb.
- Duration: 9 minutes
- Restrooms suitable for people with disabilities: in the buildings of the Alpspitzbahn bottom and top station
Visitors can reach the Hochalmbahn cable car via the Alpspitzbahn mountain station. At the valley station, a ramp leads down from the platform.
Please note: The cabins of the Hochalmbahn have a maximum entry width of 100 cm. There is also a step of about ten centimetres. Staff on site are on hand to help.
- Duration: 3 minutes
- Restrooms suitable for people with disabilities: Alpspitzbahn and Hochalmbahn mountain station
- Bottom station: A ramp makes it easy to enter the 8-seater cabins of the Hausbergbahn in winter.
- Top station: At the top station, you have to climb three steps to get out. Staff on site are on hand to help.
- Duration: 8 minutes
- Restrooms suitable for people with disabilities: Hausbergbahn valley station
The connection between the Hochalmbahn and Kreuzeckbahn cable cars, as recommended when using the Garmisch-Classic Ticket, is only suitable for athletic wheelchair users. The reason: The Hochalmweg is very steep in parts and is crossed by water channels. The return journey with the Hochalmbahn and Alpspitzbahn, on the other hand, is easily possible with a wheelchair or rollator.
The Wankbahn cable car takes guests comfortably up the popular excursion mountain.
- Bottom station: A ramp in the back of the bottom station ensures barrier-free access to the platform.
- Top station: level exit to the viewing platform
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Restrooms suitable for people with disabilities: none
- Please note: The Wankbahn cable car can only be used by wheelchairs with a maximum width of 57 centimetres. Unfortunately, it is not possible to transport electric wheelchairs. Staff on site will assist you with getting on and off.