An interactive loop trail on the Zugspitze plateau provides interesting information on the glacier. The glacier can be explored individually or as part of a group during a guided tour.
Accompanied by glacier guides, visitors can explore the ice worlds on the Zugspitze plateau. The trained staff provide background information on the glacier, give insights into the microcosm of the ice worlds and explain why this glacier is now threatened by climate change.
- When: during the summer season, daily at 11.00 am and 1.30 pm
- Start: Restaurant Sonnalpin main entrance; meeting point: souvenir kiosk
- Stations: ice edge of the Northern Schneeferner and glacier ice (depending on the weather)
- Duration: approx. 45 minutes
- Please note:
- Sturdy shoes are required.
- In case of bad weather, indoor guided tours on the technology and history of the Cable car Zugspitze are offered as an alternative.
- Price: The glacier tours are a free service of Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahn AG.
- Nice complement to the glacier tour and especially recommended for families: a visit to the Glacier Adventure Trail
Along five interactive stations, visitors of all ages can explore the world on the Zugspitze plateau with all senses. The trail is located only 15 minutes from Restaurant Sonnalpin and can be walked in either direction.
Please note: The stations are only set up during the summer season. However, the loop trail can also be walked in winter.
Glacier and climate excursion
A glacier expert from the VIVALPIN mountain school takes interested guests on a journey through the history of the earth. Participants will discover traces of ice from the Würm Ice Age (11,000 years ago) to the present day: moraines and permafrost, glacial lakes, fossils from a bygone era and much more.
On the approximately three-hour excursion, guests learn many interesting facts, hike over glacier ice and explore the traces of the glaciers.